Friday, January 22, 2010

Proud Mom

She earned it on her own - her name in the Dean's list. Has done that 3 times this year. Last year I hardly knew these lists existed. Maybe she dint like something about 3rd grade. I dint mess with her.. just consistently made sure she did all her work.

I was born and brought up in India. Education system is quiet different from here... and my US school curriculum knowledge is that of my daughter's who is a 4th grader. As I say to all my friends here I am learning alongside my daughter the academics as well as school curricula. Theres a different sense of pride in doing that.

Last week when she got her results she was sad cause she missed the Head As list by 2 points. This is exactly how I wanted it. Not the other way round. I dint want to coax her to get good grades. I wanted it to dawn upon her the happiness of self achievement. Yes I verbally reprimanded her when she got poor marks in anything in fact asked her why she dint get it.. we talked... she explained and I took the help of edHelper.com(gradewise practice exercises suggested by a friend). but I realize she has the potential and she will do her best always and go beyond her when the time is right. Frankly I dint help her with her assignments, projects or HW. She did it on her own. I just made sure she finished her HW.
Now you know why I am the proud mom. She has her shortcomings.. which kid doesnt.. but I am happy with her progress.

No comments: