Thursday, August 10, 2017

Professional life - Part 1

Had I started with TCS back in 1997, I would have had 21 years of working in IT, under my wings?! Phew?! Hard to fathom that when I look back at a series of 'turn of events' which has brought me to where or more appropriately 'who' I am today. Man proposes.. God Disposes! who are the geniuses who came up with these quotes?! So true!! but at the same time there is NO equal to life's experiences that I have gathered along the way.

When I started off right after high school,  and after having failed to get through state level Medical entrance exams in West Bengal and Orissa 👀 One thing became crystal clear - 'Doctory(if thats even a word) aint my religion   . 'Engineering'?! Nope. Needed to find something that matched my persona. And years later when I am penning down this post, I am thinking to myself - 'whatever was I thinking back then'. Well! fact of the matter is that I wasnt thinking. This plan of only focussing on me being either a doctor or an engineer was laid out for me cause of my environment and circumstances just like the horses with blinkers, so only a narrow stretch is visible to them. Also fact remains of our middle class mentality. We were not encouraged to dream big. I wonder why.

While I am still constantly trying to play it safe, my inner voice is screaming - ENOUGH!

Contemplating this even more, since my daughter is at that same threshold today and trying to figure out which path she wants to walk. Cause truly life offers options. You need to grab it at the right time. Mostly your own insecurities hold you back. They are your 'Saboteurs'(as one of my friend mentioned).                        
                               .....................to be continued

No comments: